Oct 8, 2009

What I Believe


I believe in an educational system that values critical thinking above rote memorization, creativity above test scores, and thoughtfulness above compliance. I believe in schools being community centers where people enjoy spending time, sharing ideas, and expanding their world-views. I believe in giving every young person a fair shot, recognizing that not all children come to school equipped with the tools needed to navigate the U.S. educational system. I believe that it is the job of educators to give students what they need, without judgement, chastisement, or resentment. Most of all, I believe that everyone has a story to tell, a life to share, and a future worth believing in. I envision an educational system that values these stories, lives, and futures in ways that give young people the hope needed to believe in their own dreams. And I believe we have a long way to go.

What do you believe? Share your thoughts by hitting the COMMENTS tab below this post.

Peace,
M

[Image available at campuscenter.com]

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm having a look around yours, now. :)
    All the things you mentioned in this post are the reasons I've decided to homeschool my children. I live in Canada, but feel that our educational system is about precisely what you described: rote memorization, test scores, and compliance. Hardly what I would call a worthwhile education. And I don't see it changing any time soon. I was in a bit of culture shock when I left high school and entered university, only to find that there were no notes to copy down from the chalkboard (although, admittedly, still plenty of rote memorization), and critical thinking was a whole new concept! I hope to be able to teach my children critical thinking skills right from the getgo.

    ReplyDelete