Nov 13, 2009

This Week...

I guess this week I have been in a "less writing, more doing" frame of mind - which, when I think about it, is pretty ironic because I haven't even done that much. Maybe I've been in a "less writing, more thinking" frame of mind. Either way, here's what I have been up to this week:

1. I have been reading up a lot on the voluntary simplicity movement and have been especially intrigued by the way different blogs about simplicity and minimalism have approached the subject. I was going to link to a bunch of those blogs here, but I think in the effort of simplicity I'll save those links for a later post. Frankly, I have a new book that I want to start and I'd rather devote some time this morning to that activity.

2. I've also been doing some background research for the book I am co-authoring. What I've learned is that I am about to enter an entirely new realm of writing. It's exciting, but it's also scary and a bit overwhelming. My focus right now is to learn enough to be able to streamline the process. I keep reminding myself that if I want a life of simplicity, I have to infuse my life with simple patterns and simple actions.

3. I failed miserably at my trash-free challenge for the week. It was WAY harder than I thought it would be to buy groceries without any packaging. Among other things, it has given me a newfound respect for Colin and his No Impact Man project. I also learned that if you approach grocery shopping with intention, you will realize the inverse relationship between packaging and food health and quality. I already try to stick to the perimeter of the store as much as possible, but I found that focusing on products with less packaging automatically increases the amount of healthy fruits and veggies that end up in my cart.

That's all for now. I'll be back later with a post on exercise and nutrition, since it is Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment