Nov 9, 2009

Personal Challenge #2: Yoga and Quiet Contemplation (Week 3 of 4)


This personal challenge will focus on inward simplicity. I am committing to ten minutes of yoga and/or quiet contemplation every day for the next four weeks.

My inspiration this week comes from Rowdy Kitten's post entitled Lessons In Simplicity: Practicing Yoga. The four things she's learned since she started practicing yoga really speak to me. She's learned that slowing down is okay, falling down is not a bad thing, meditation and simplicity go hand in hand, and yoga is a fantastic workout and a great substitute for running. There we go... no need for me to go on and on about what I've learned so far, as I think Tammy said it pretty well.

My most humbling experience this past week was a 90-minute yoga video workout I did (or tried to do) in my living room. I am in awe of the strength and balance needed to complete some of the poses that look so simple. Although the workout was hard and I couldn't hold all of the poses, I did finish it feeling much calmer and more in control than when the video started. It's a good reminder of how strength comes in many different forms.

My most calming experience was the ten minutes I spent lying around in the grass at the park. I had just finished a hard run and was about to rush off to do some errands, when I stopped myself and just plopped down in the grass. I enjoyed hearing the leaves rustle in the wind and listening to the sound of the creek behind me. I enjoyed watching the squirrels play and the kids run around and the adults walk, talk, and laugh. I enjoyed being with myself. Just being present.

I'm still working on my first personal challenge of getting rid of/donating ten items a week. I cleaned out my office again on Friday and found about 12 books that were ready to go to new homes. This morning, I'm tackling the closet again and am committing to finding at least five items that I haven't worn in the past year. They are going out with the other donations.

I'm also committing to going trash-free with my diet this week, meaning that I will buy nothing from the grocery store that comes in packaging of any kind. Stay tuned for future posts about this progress.

Feel free to comment below by clicking on the COMMENTS tab. I'd love to hear from you.

[Image available at hongkiat.s3.amazonaws.com/nature_wallpapers/Viva-La-Nature-5-(3).jpg]

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog! Thanks so much for linking to me. And thank you for reading RowdyKittens.

    It's awesome that you started doing yoga. It's an amazing workout. I've only been practicing for about 3 or 4 weeks but I feel so much better.

    I'm going to add your blog to my reader. Fantastic content! :)

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete