Jan 18, 2010

Injustice Anywhere...

Today I've been thinking a lot about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I've been thinking about the life he lived and the legacy he left behind.

This morning I was watching t.v. coverage of an MLK event taking place at the church in Atlanta, GA where both Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his father were pastors. And I listened to Dr. Cornell West speak and I wish I could have recorded his speech or wrote it down because he said so much, so powerfully that I was actually moved to tears. Among many other things, Dr. West talked about how one of the things Dr. King was concerned about was the question of what it means to be human and to live a life of service. Dr. West also spoke about how love, when it is brought into the public sphere, becomes justice.

I'll leave you today with a few of my favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. quotes:
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
"At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love."
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people."

And a question: What have you done, are you doing, or will you do to keep the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. alive?

No comments:

Post a Comment