Dec 30, 2009

Since Today is Wednesday...


Since today is Wednesday, I thought I might actually write about what I said I'd write about on Wednesday - Financial Simplicity and Social Justice.

The truth is, I've been struggling in the area of financial simplicity all fall, which probably explains why I've been writing about it very little. I have, however, been reading and reflecting a lot about what I need to do to get myself back on track. It's amazing how the busier my days are the easier it is to give into those little temptations, like the Starbucks' drive-thru on the way to my early morning shift, or some new, adorable baby clothes for my best friend who is expecting a baby this spring.

That being said, I'm gearing up again to do the Compact beginning January 1st. I'm going to try it for a month, see how it goes, and then see whether or not I am going to extend it past that. A month of buying nothing new (besides food, clothes, toiletries, etc.) seems doable to me... especially after a holiday season where I realized time and time again how blessed I am in my life and how I have way more stuff than I need or even want.

I'm also going to continue paring down my personal possessions. Starting on Monday, I will resume giving away or donating 10 items a week. I already have a bag half-full of donation items sitting in my dining room.

Another thing I am going to focus on is reducing my grocery spending, without sacrificing quality. Since I've become a vegan this past fall, I have given myself some time to just adjust without focusing too much on how much I've been spending on groceries.

This may seem like a lot to tackle all at one time, but I really think that right now committing myself to doing these three things will get me back on track. I do want to be debt-free, and I know that to do that I will have to focus on reducing my spending and paying off those darn student loans.

Peace and Happy New Year!
M

[Image available at http://imagecache5.art.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment